top of page

Your rent - FAQs

Here are our answers to some common questions you may have about your rent payments.

When is my rent due?       

Your rent is due weekly every Monday. Your rent is always due in advance even though your salary and/or benefits may be paid in arrears.

What if my account is in arrears but is all of my rent is covered by housing benefit?       

It is a condition of your tenancy that your rent is paid in advance, but housing benefit pay us four weeks in arrears. You are still responsible for ensuring that your rent is paid monthly in advance as per your tenancy agreement, regardless of any benefit entitlement.

My housing benefit has changed – what do I need to pay?         

If you have had a change in housing benefit you should contact us straight away and we will let you know what you need to pay. Remember you must always notify housing benefit if your circumstances change.

My rent has changed – what do I need to pay? 

You need to increase your payments to the new amount. If you receive housing benefit, you should check your new entitlement with your local authority. If you have a rent agreement in place to repay any arrears, you will need to take this into account too. If you aren’t sure of what you need to pay, please contact us.

Personal issues are making paying my rent and managing my tenancy difficult. What can I do?  

There may be other things going on in your life which make it even more difficult to deal with the everyday responsibilities of managing your home. You may be struggling with multiple debts, relationship problems, health problems, a language problem, mental health issues, problems with alcohol/drug misuse or literacy problems. If you feel you need additional support/advice with managing your tenancy or dealing with your arrears, please talk to us as soon as possible and we will try to make an arrangement with you.

Organisations such as Citizens Advice or Shelter (LINKS) may be able to offer you additional advice so please see your yellow pages for local numbers. There may also be other voluntary organisations in your local area so contact  us and we will point you in the right direction.

I have arrears on my account. What can I do?           

If you are unable to make a payment, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss the problem and we will try and help you find a positive solution.

We appreciate that things can be difficult at times and by talking to us you may be able to avoid things getting out of control. There may be benefits you could claim, other things you could do to increase your income or advice and support agencies you can speak to and we would be happy to talk these options through with you. Ignoring the situation will only make it worse and puts your home at risk. We cannot help if you don’t talk to us!

bottom of page